RESERVATIONS & BOOKINGS
+ How do I make a Booking or Reservation?
All bookings are made through our website portal. Specify your needs in our online form and we provide an estimate of the cost. If you are happy with our price, submit your request to us to confirm availability.
+ What is considered the rental period?
Rental Period refers to the number of days which the vehicle is hired. Pick-up and drop-off days are considered as rental days irrespective of the time of collection or drop off.
+ Is there a minimum rental period?
During Non-peak periods the minimum booking period is 3 days and includes pick-up and drop off days. During Peak periods, the minimum rental period is 7 days including pick-up and drop-off days.
+ Can I extend my Travel Bugz rental?
In the event that you wish to extend the rental period, contact has to be made with Travel Bugz 48 hours in advance of return date and time. Extension may only be granted provided the specific vehicle has no prior bookings overlapping the desired extension period. Whilst we will try our best to meet this need, Travel Bugz is not obliged to accommodate the request of an extended rental period.
+ What happens if I need to cancel?
We understand that life happens and you may need to cancel. Our cancellation terms are as follows:
More than 15 days prior to collection – Forfeit Deposit
0 to 14 days prior to collection – Forfeit 100% of gross rental
No Show – Forfeit 100% of gross rental
+ Can I change my booking dates?
If you wish to change your booking dates, Travel Bugz will try to accommodate you subject to availability; but we may not guarantee the preferred dates of the hirer. If no suitable alternative date can be reached within 90 days of your original booked dates, the hirer will forfeit all payments made. All no shows on reservations made up to 3 days of collection will not be penalised.
+ What is the minimum age I must be to rent?
The minimum age of the hirer or other nominated drivers is 18
+ What driver’s license do I need?
A valid passenger car English-medium driving license or international driving license is required for all drivers. (Please note that it is the law to have your license available on your person at all times while operating the vehicle). In the event of the driver’s license being under 2 years old, a 5% surcharge will apply in the event of an insurance claim. A copy of your formal travel document or South African ID or drivers licence will be photographed on pick up.
+ What is classified as peak and non-peaks season?
The dates below define our seasonality, rate bands and peak/off-peak periods.
- Summer (Nov to Mar) – High – Dec & Jan (Peak)
- Autumn (Apr to May) – Medium
- Winter (June-Aug) – Low
- Spring (Sep to Oct) – Medium
PICKING UP AND DROPPING OFF YOUR VEHICLE
+ What are your office hours?
Our Cape Town operations are:
- Monday to Friday: 08h00 to 17h00 with last pick up and return at 16h00.
- Saturday: 08h00 to 15h00 with last pick up and return at 14h00.
- Sundays and Public Holidays: Closed
All locations are closed on the following Public Holidays: Christmas Day (25 Dec), New Year’s Day (1 Jan), Good Friday, Easter Monday, Labour Day (1 May), Youth Day (16 Jun), Heritage Day (24 Sept) and Day of Goodwill (16 Dec) with no pick-ups or returns. After-hours operations are considered as follows:-
- Weekdays: Before 08h00 and after 16h00
- Saturday: Before 08h00 and after 14h00
- Sunday: All Day
After hour’s pick-ups and returns are by arrangement only; please arrange a specific time with us when booking. An after-hours surcharge of R500 will be levied per pick up and per return
+ Do you provide transport to my pick up location?
We recommend the use of Uber (or other Taxi services) to reach your pick up point, or to your required post drop-off destination.
+ Where is the pick-up and drop off location??
We are situated on Level 1 of the Battery Park Parking Garage. Follow the signs to Ryan's Car Wash on Alfred Street, Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town. We recommend the use of our cities Uber (or other Taxi) services to reach your pick up point, or to your required post return destination.
For a fee, we can arrange one-way pick ups and returns from our Travel Budz in Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Windhoek.
+ Can I pick up and return my Travel Bugz outside of opening hours?
After hours drop offs and pick-ups are by appointment only; please arrange a specific time with us when booking. An after-hours surcharge of R500 will be levied per pick up and drop off.
+ Is it safe to travel in South Africa?
Yes, in most cases, it is safe to travel in South Africa. We are an incredibly friendly nation that welcomes millions of tourists every year. Like most places in the world, you need to be aware of your surroundings and avoid getting yourself into compromising situations, like driving around sketchy neighbourhoods late at night. Try not to flash your valuables around, especially in the big cities. Common sense will take you far. If you’re still unsure of what to do in a certain situation, you can call Travel Bugz and get immediate advice, or ask locals for advice who are usually very happy to help a traveler.
Some safety notes :
- Always lock your car when you leave it, even if you are only going to be gone for a few minutes.
- Do not leave anything valuable on display in your car when you leave it unattended
- Try to always park in a busy, well-lit area.
- Always drive with your doors locked and windows wound up, especially when stopped at traffic lights.
- Don't pick up hitchhikers, however innocent they may appear
- Take advice from your hosts where you are staying, and ask if there are any areas that tourists should avoid driving through
- Do not confront aggressive or abusive road users
- If possible avoid travelling at night or in very remote areas
+ What do I need to know about the driving laws in South Africa?
- In South Africa, we drive on the left-hand side of the road, and our vehicles are right-hand drives. Keep to the left and pass right.
- There are strict drinking and driving laws - with a maximum allowable alcohol blood content of 0.05%. Translated that means about one glass of wine for the average woman and perhaps 1.5 or two for the average or large man.
- Four-way stops are commonly found at the quieter intersections – the first vehicle to arrive has priority. On roundabouts, give way to the right, although this is often overlooked and it is wise to proceed with caution.
- Wearing of seat belts is compulsory. All occupants of a vehicle are required to wear seatbelts whilst travelling if you are caught without you will be subject to a fine.
- Using hand-held phones while driving is against the law – use a vehicle phone attachment or hands-free kit, if you want to speak on your mobile phone.
+ What if I am a Travel Agent wanting to book a Travel Bugz campervan for my clients?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
+ What do I do in case of a break down?
Whilst all our vehicles are thoroughly serviced and checked, breakdowns can occur unexpectedly and may require minor mechanical repairs. You are pre-authorised for repairs up to R1,000 and we request a receipt for re-imbursement. Our vehicles are covered by VW Fleetcare. In the event of a breakdown, kindly contact the number displayed in the service manual which is located in the cubby.
+ Can Travel Bugz help me with trip planning?
We provide various resources and tools on our Inspiration Page to assist with your trip planning. We are constantly expanding our network of Travel Budz and hope to offer packages or tailored trips that can be pre-booked through them shortly.
+ Can Travel Bugz help me with adventure equipment?
We are constantly expanding our network of Travel Budz and will shortly offer the services of bike or surf board rentals. We have numerous contacts who offer specialist services and equipment.
+ Can I camp anywhere next to the road?
We do not recommend this. In almost every town in Southern Africa, there are campsites available with great facilities. Have a look at our Inspiration page for recommendations and feel free to contact Travel Budz for some assistance booking these campsites and activities for you.
+ Can I travel to bordering countries?
Travel Bugz vehicles are allowed to be driven in South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland, and Botswana. We do not allow our vehicles into any other countries where our insurance cover is void. A once-off cross-border fee per vehicle per rental of R750.00 is required on booking for processing one or more cross-border documents for the countries outlined.
+ Will, there be any places I can not travel with my Travel Bugz rental?
Our compact campers should only be driven on tarred or concrete roads. Limited gravel travel is allowed in National Parks (where dirt roads are usually well-graded) and for access to campsites or with road diversions. This also assists in keeping your inside sleeping quarters clean.
Areas subject to adverse road, weather and political situations (we reserve the right to specify these on pick up). All insurance cover is void if the vehicle enters prohibited areas. The hirer will be fully liable for the vehicle.
+ Where can I find the Travel Bugz Terms & Conditions?
If you’re renting one of our Travel Bugz you can see our full Terms & Conditions here.
PAYMENT & CANCELLATIONS
+ How is my payment calculated?
We adopt a payment and authorisation system.
Payment is the amount taken from the hirer's credit card. It is calculated as follows:
- Full Rental amount and contract fee
- plus additional equipment (e.g. Baby/Child seats, Tent, Chairs, etc..)
- plus post-trip fees, if applicable (e.g. Road toll fees, additional kilometres, one-way fees, cross border fees, infringements, admin fees, etc...)
This is reflected as 2 or 3 payments (see below)
Authorisation is the amount "held" or "bonded" by the credit card issuer, not physically deduced. It is the Hirer's maximum amount liability in the event of damage to, of theft of, the rental vehicle.
+ How do I make payment for my rental?
It's as easy as 1-2-3....
- Booking Deposit: We request a 50% booking deposit on confirmation of vehicle availability using our payment portal. We hold your vehicle for a period of 48-hours to allow your deposit payment to be reflected. Once confirmed, your booking will be mailed to you. (If no payment is received after this period we will release the vehicle for rental). Please contact us if there is a problem.
- Final Payment: We will send you a reminder that the 50% balance of payment is due 14-days prior to your pick-up date. Again this can be done via our payment portal quoting your Booking reference number.
- Post-trip payment: Following vehicle return a final payment may be due by the hirer and include any post-trip fees for road tolls, lost or damaged equipment, additional kilometres, infringements, admin fees, soiling, fueling or other charges.
+ Will I be refunded if I return my rental earlier?
No refund will be given if vehicle is returned early, after commencement of rental.
+ Would I need a credit card for my rental and do you accept debit cards?
Yes. We will "hold" or "bond" an amount equivalent to the cover liability option you have elected. For standard insurance this will be R19,500.00; for Super cover this reduces to R3,500.00.
Please note: As an added security feature introduced by various international banking institutions, transactions on credit cards issued outside South Africa will not be authorised by the issuing bank if the cardholder fails to inform them of their intention to travel to South Africa and the period concerned.
We do not accept debit cards, cash or cheques.
+ Would I need a credit card for my rental and do you accept debit cards?
Yes, your would need a credit card (a valid VISA / Mastercard card) when you pick your rental up. We do not accept debit cards, cash or cheques.
+ What methods of payments does Travel Bugz accept?
As all payments are made online, you will only need a credit card for bonding. Travel Bugz accepts MasterCard or Visa only for this purpose. Debit cards cannot be used for bonded amounts.
+ Do you have Special offers?
From time to time we have cancellation specials where we offer campervans at up to half the normal rate. Keep an eye on our social media channels (@travelbugz.co).
+ What is included in my campervan rental?
- Safely-belt seating for 4
- Bedding for 2 adults inside
- A 30-litre travel fridge/freezer
- Bluetooth music system and USB power
- Internal AC power (if available at campsite)
- Roof rack and 270-degree Bushfan awning
- A steel camp table with 2 foldable camp chairs
- Crockery, cutlery, pan set and utensils catering for 4 persons
- Coffee plunger (French press)
- Butane gas cooker with spare gas cannister
- Two named drivers
- Standard insurance cover with a R19,500 (or 9%) excess whichever the greater
- 300 kilometres per day up to and including 14 rental days (Unlimited kilometres if rental period is greater than 14 days)
- Emergency assistance
- Emergency equipment (Medical Kit, Extinguisher) for your protection (Please note: if you need to use these, we will deduct the replacement or re-fill cost)
- Credit Card transaction fees
- 15% Value Added Tax.
A tent, mattress, extra set of bedding and chairs for an additional 2 people is available for rental at a small extra fee.
+ What is not included in my rental?
- Super cover premium reducing my excess to R3,500.
- Camp site or other accommodation fees.
- One-way fees (unless specified).
- Out of Country charges (unless specified)
- After Hours pick-up or return fees (unless specified)
- Additional Wi-Fi Data or Gas Cannisters (these may be ordered from us beforehand)
- Booking or reservation service for accommodation, activities or adventure equipment (if you wish to make use of this, we can refer you to some of our Travel Budz who will gladly assist)
- Optional extras (we do offer additional equipment during booking at nominal rental or daily rates)
+ How many people can sleep in a Campervan?
The campervan can comfortably seat up to 4 people while driving and sleeps a maximum of 2 adults. An extra tent and bedding can be rented through Travel Bugz should you want to sleep additional person(s).
+ Why is a Campervan a better choice than a caravan?
Your Travel Bugz campervan makes much more sense in a country with a climate like ours. It is much more outdoor focused.... you just sleep snugly inside. It offers much more flexibility for traveling through Southern Africa. It is easier to drive, with none of the hassles that come with larger vehicles. This is why we support younger drivers who've had their licence for 1 year or more. You have the convenience to park anywhere most cars can park. It's compact, with everything you need, it's lighter on fuel, and we offer great value for money.
+ Does the campervan have a toilet and shower?
No, so we recommend staying at an official campsight so that you can use the bathroom failities. South Africa has beautiful campsights and our weather is highly condusive to outdoor living.
+ Do I need a sleeping bag?
We equip you with bedding but will recommend you bring a sleeping bag with for extra warmth during our winter months.
+ Is my Travel Bugz 4x4?
No, but you don't need a 4x4 for most destinations in South Africa. We have over 160,000km of world-class paved roads in the country.
+ Can I drive on gravel roads?
For your safety and comfort, and protection of our vehicles we only allow our vehicles on paved roads. The only exception is in National Parks where gravel roads are usually well-graded with enforced speed limits.
+ Do you have WIFI available on my Travel Bugz?
Not yet but soon.
+ Is there a tracking system on my Travel Bugz vechile?
All Travel Bugz vehicles are fitted with approved tracking devices as part of our insurance cover. We reserve the right to repossess the rental vehicle at any time should it be used to violate the law, appears to be abandoned or if you are in breach of the rental agreement.
INSURANCE & LIABILITY
+ What is covered in terms of insurance & liability?
Travel Bugz rental fees include standard collision damage cover, with a super cover option available for zero excess.
All options cover vehicle damage and Third Party liability.
Personal liability, injury and effects are not covered. We suggest that the hirer obtain their own travel insurance.
All liability cover is deemed void in the event of conditions or restrictions being transgressed. In such cases, the hirer is fully liable for the vehicle, its condition and that of its contents.
A claim administration fee of R250.00 will be levied for each claim made.
We also encourage you to double check our Terms & Conditions section 7 for more details.
+ Do I get re-imbursed for breakdown costs?
Yes. We do ask that you have our approval on the repair and cost beforehand. You are pre-authorised to have mechanical repairs carried out to a limit of R1,000.00 per instance without contacting us. Larger repairs will be arranged, at the discretion of Travel Bugz, upon you reporting the problem to us.
Please settle directly with the supplier. Refunds will only be made if invoices are produced and if repairs are not as a result of driver negligence.
+ What do I do in case of an accident?
First of all, we hope you're ok! Provided no medical attention is necessary and it's just a case of damage to the vehicle, the following procedure should be followed:
- At the accident scene, obtain the names and addresses of third parties and any witnesses.
- Report the accident to police, regardless of estimated damage costs.
- Do not accept blame or insist the other party is at fault.
- If possible, photograph damage to all vehicle(s) and registration number(s).
- Phone Travel Bugz with the accident’s details within 24 hours.
+ What if something happens with equipment inside my Travel Bugz?
Our vehicle are supplied with mobile accessories, sleeping, cooking and camping equipment. None of the cover options provide for loss or damage to these items. If missing or broken we will charge your credit card.